A delicious middle-eastern moghrabieh & grilled chicken salad with fresh herbs and pomegranate seeds.
Prep Time :40 min
Cook Time:15 min
Total Time: 55 min
- 1 kg skinless free range chicken thigh fillets, fat trimmed.
For the chicken marinate
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons plain greek-style yohgurt, plus extra for serving.
- 2 tablespoons Harissa paste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- fresh coriander roots, chopped coarsely (use roots from coriander bunch used for salad)
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra-virgin olive oil, to be added just before cooking.
For the Salad
- 500g dry Moghrabieh Couscous
- 1 bunch fresh parsley (1 cup parsley leaves), chopped coarsely.
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (1 cup coriander leaves) chopped coarsely. Leave 2 inches of the roots for the chicken marinate.
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn.
- 6 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- seeds of one pomegranate about 1/2 cup, preserve some seeds for serving
- 400 g mixed and colourful cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 Lebanese cucumber, Diced
For the dressing
- 6 tablespoons good quality extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sumac spice, extra for serving
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon fine ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon raw organic honey
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- extra plain yoghurt, sumac spice and pomegranate seeds
- Put the marinate ingredients except for the olive oil(reserve for later)in a deep glass bowl and stir to combine.
- add the chicken thigh fillets and stir to coat well.
- cover and set aside in the fridge for at least 30 mins to marinate. (overnight if you have time)
- Meanwhile cook the Moghrabieh couscous or the Pearl couscous as per packet instructions, making sure the couscous is fully cooked.( I personally prefer cooking moghrabieh like pasta, in plenty of water and boil for about 12 mins until cooked, then refresh under cold water)
- transfer the cooked couscous into a large mixing bowl and add the salads ingredients.
- prepare the dressing by mixing all its ingredients in a seperate small bowl, then stir to combine.
- Preheat a chargrill pan over medium to high heat.
- add the reserved extra-virgin olive oil to the marinated chicken in the bowl and mix to coat evenly, discard the coriander roots.
- when the pan is ready and hot start cooking the chicken fillets for 4-5 mins on each side or until charred from the outside and fully cooked from inside. Press down once on each side of the chicken while grilling to release the extra fluid.
- set aside for 3 mins to cool down, then thinly slice.
- add the dressing to salad and stir.
- add the sliced chicken to the salad bowl and toss again gently to combine.
- transfer to a serving bowl and serve with extra yoghurt and sumac.
- * Usually a boneless thigh fillet is thicker on one side than the other. To make the fillet have the same thickness, place it on its smooth flat side on a board and use a sharp knife to make
Yossra AbouelFadl is a talented cooker 34 years old,a pharmacist by profession, a photographer and a home cook by passion. She is a wife and a mother of two, a 12-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy living in Australia.